Lucy 6 Year Update

 I'm a few months behind on this update, but wanted to get an update on Lucy at 6 years old! Lucy has grown so much in this past year, from starting Kindergarten to loosing 6 teeth, she has become a whole different kid!  She is an extremely smart, outgoing, friendly little girl and we are so proud of who she is becoming.

At school Lucy really shines! She is an awesome reader and was even pulled up to the next grade level to get practice reading with the first graders.  She flew through her assignments with ease and was the furthest along in her word lists out of everyone in her class by the end of the year.  Lucy also excels at math and seems to overall be a very bright kid. Ms. Pernice, her kindergarten teacher, would sing Lucy's praises when we met during conferences, saying things like "Lucy is one of the brightest kids I've taught" and "Lucy is so mature".  Not only did Lucy excel academically, she also also got strong behavior reports and would get "clipped up" most days.  We're so thankful to have a daughter that shines academically and with her personality as well!

While Lucy seemed to do a great job listening and following the rules, she also seemed to be a social butterfly at school (really the best of both worlds!) She seemed to be friends with almost everyone and it seemed most kids loved her too! Her class was mostly boys, so many of her friends were little boys this year.  That was something different, as she seemed to gravitate towards other little girls in preschool, but I'm not sure if that is going to stick around or was just a matter or ratios and kids available to play with. Some of her closest friends were Molly, Kenny, Colton, Dylan, and Noah. For the most part we didn't encounter too many problems at school, she only came home crying one day when one of her friends said she "didn't want to be her friend".  Lucy was SO upset, it broke my heart, but we talked through what happened and I tried to make her feel better.  Ultimately I think it was a misunderstanding, and I don't think that was what the friend intended, but it was tough to see her hurt like that! Her favorite thing to do at school was journal writing and her favorite special was gym. 

It was hard for me to have Lucy gone for so many hours of the day, I missed her a lot! I wasn't able to volunteer a ton in her classroom and I often felt a little in the dark on what was going on, so I had a rough year letting go of my baby girl.  It was a big adjustment! Fortunately Lucy did not seem phased by the change at all and really seemed to thrive at school.  She loved going to school and missed it when she wasn't there.  I pulled her out for a dentist appointment one day and she was upset that she had to miss part of her class.  We are really fortunate to have a daughter that is so eager to learn!

This past year we tried cheerleading, soccer and girl scouts.  Lucy doesn't seem to have a strong affinity for any sport in particular although she does seem to be more excited about the "girly-er" sports like dance, cheer, gymnastics, etc.  Its been hard for me to tell what exactly we should invest our time in, so currently we've been trying a bit of everything.  In her free time she LOVES to read, after we've gone to the library and gotten new books she will sit for hours, completely blocking out the world, reading. She also loves to draw, play with friends, play with her baby dolls, dress up, and play outside (ride bikes, go to the park, swim in the pool, jump on the trampoline).

Lucy is a big helper at our house, I rely on her a lot to help me get June and Hank ready or to entertain and play with them.  That was another reason it was hard having her gone, she typically plays great with June and Hank and helps organize play for the three of them.  We are excited to have her home this summer! She is overall a really good kid but every once in a while she gets into a funk and gets a little attitude.  Typically a break in her room helps to calm her down and seems to work well for discipline.  We have also tested out a small allowance this year and Lucy seems to respond really well to that.  She gets $2 for doing chores throughout the week and she actually has done great getting the chores done without complaining about them. 

 

She is a snazzy, opinionated dresser and usually leaves the house in something a bit "crazy" (as I like to call it).  I had a realization this year that her carefree style was fleeting though and eventually she would start caring about what other people think and what the latest styles are - it made me appreciate the freedom she has right now. She chooses what she wants to wear because SHE likes it, not because of what anyone else thinks.  I love that about her.

I love you so much Lucy-girl! You are such a joy to be around! You are so smart, so disciplined, so sweet, and so helpful.  You are my little rule-follower and so often I feel like you are my mini-me, which makes me so happy and also makes me a bit nervous at times.  You can be sensitive at times like mommy, but you are also a super hard worker like mommy too! I hope I can always fuel your passions and tend to your heart when things are hard, but I know I will sometimes fail.  That is why we ultimately want you to look back to your heavenly Father when times are tough and the world is failing you.  He is always a good and perfect father, and fortunately I think you already have a good understanding of that.

Comments

Post a Comment