Back To School!

We had a good start to the school year this year! Hank started kindergarten and Lucy started second grade. It was a lot easier for me this year having been my third year doing this whole school thing and it was easier sending Hank off to school knowing Lucy was there to help if he needed. 

Hank on back to school night.. he requested a mohawk for back to school...

Lucy's teacher this year is Mrs. Foote. She was put into a class with several of her friends and this was the first year I was worried she'd get into trouble for talking! She's actually been fine, but it's been fun to see her little group of friends develop and to see her excitement to go to school and see them.
She continues to be one of the tallest in her class and one of the smartest. We are so proud of her and are constantly working to make sure w are keeping her challenged!


We've been walking to school every morning, especially  now that Hank goes with us. He didn't start the first week of school, which is why he's still in regular clothes...

One of Lucy's best friends Emilia...





Hank's first day! He was super excited to go to kindergarten.... and to be honest, I was pretty ready for him to go to. Hank can be challenging sometimes at home and I figured school would be good for him to have a regular routine and rules given by someone other than me. This was pretty different than sending Lucy who I missed pretty much every day of her entire first year. Lucy is my little helper at home so it was always a bit harder without her at home (and it still is!)
I'm not going to lie, I was a bit apprehensive as to what type of behavior report I would get from his teacher, Mrs. Hathaway, but it turns out that he saves all his naughty/whiny behavior for home. I am happy to report that Mrs. Hathaway loves having Hank in class and has commented on what a nice, kind boy he is and how much fun he is to have in class.
Hank is a real leader in his class and has really taken to reading and writing. He definitely never had as much interest as Lucy in learning at home with me, but I've seen that take off in these first weeks of school. Often the favorite part of his day is "writing"... my heart soars when he says that! And his reading is getting better and better every week.
Lucy and Hank have lunch and recess together because the second graders and kindergartners are slotted together. It's been nice to be able to check in with Lucy and see how Hank is doing and to hear Hank's stories about playing soccer and tag with all the second graders (not sure if this is because he can hang with them or because he knew some of them already from Lucy, but either way, I love hearing about it.
The first week of school Hank discovered chocolate milk was an option. When Lucy started kindergarten she self-regulated and decided one day a week was good for chocolate milk and that was that. Here's what happened with Hank...

Hank: I got chocolate milk
Me: Ok, well that's something special, just like Lucy you can get it one time per week, but that's all
Hank: well, you'll never know if I get it
Me: (eye roll) well Lucy is in there and I'll have her check 

Sigh... constantly my button pusher. Luckily he did follow the rules and we haven't had too many issues with chocolate milk, but it has been hard to hear about what Hank is eating for lunch most days. Lucy is naturally a good eater, and while Hank is too he has a bit of a pickier side... many days I find he is only eating the main course (if that) and "doesn't like" the fruit and veggie options... I'm still figuring out what to do with that...




And last but not least, we sent this little munchkin off for her first day of preschool!


June is going two days a week, Tuesday and Thursday from 9-11:30. I actually have her stay till 1pm on Thursdays for enrichment (dance) and lunch, and let me just tell you, that time flies!! I thought for sure I'd spend my preschool hours at the gym, but lately I've had something going on most of the mornings and haven't been able to get there. I have been getting to help in Hank's class on Thursday mornings, which has been great, so that takes up part of my morning. But somehow I've always got more to do than I have time for!
  So far June seems to be loving preschool. Given her age, it's a bit hard to get much information out of her, but she's always excited to go and seems happy when I pick her up. I think she was just eager to start doing what she saw the big kids doing. She even asked me the first week if she could "buy her lunch"... haha, I told her that wasn't something people did in preschool. 

And one last school picture. I didn't realize this was happening, but Lucy was super specific about her outfit for school one day.  Turns out she and Emilia planned to match that day... it was pretty cute!


Comments