Lucy 7 Year Old Update

Lucy at 7 years old is super helpful, very sweet, kind and generous, loves reading and is extremely smart, loves friends and our family, has a great imagination and plays very well independently, is thoughtful and obedient and is a joy to parent. I miss her when she's away at school and love the days we get to spend at home together.
Lucy's second grade class - Miss Lacivita and a few of her favorite friends: Sophie, Molly, Emilia, and Alli.
 A few of the activities Lucy tried this past year: girl scouts (she sold a ton of cookies!! but turns out that is a lot of work for me!), gymnastics, basketball, t-ball and awana. Lucy tends to like the more girl oriented activities like dance, cheer, and gymnastics, but I encouraged her to try some of the more traditional sports this year just to get a feel for them. Neither Ben nor I have much of an interest in dance/cheer, so I'm hoping this interest fades, but for now she would tell you those are her favorite activities. She tends to change interests easily (she reminds me of myself in this way, and in a lot of other ways!), and mostly seems to like activities that her friends are involved in. Her social life seems to drive a lot of decisions these days.
 Friends are super important to Lucy (much like her momma!) She has a great group of girlfriends from school and is constantly asking for playdates and to have people over. I usually have no problem with this and love having people over to our house, but lately we've had to work on not being crushed and pouty if our friends aren't available to play. Her bestfriends right now (in my opinion) are Sophie and Estella, although during the school year she was very close with Emilia. She tends to have one really close friend, but also have several other friends in her circle. New this past year was the much anticipated sleepover! Lucy (and all of her girl friends from school) constantly wanted to have sleepovers and was asking to have one all the time. We've done a couple, with a few close friends, but I've tried to emphasis the fact that sleepovers are a special treat and not something we are going to do all the time.
 Lucy is extremely mature - she seems to enjoy playing with kids her age or older the most, she plays independently and can do pretty much anything on her own and she has a deep understanding of how to help, what's right/wrong, and what needs done. This summer, most afternoons she will spend in her room reading, drawing, creating, imagining - all by herself! I love that she is perfectly content playing by herself, but also is a great friend and a great sister to play with as well.

Speaking of reading, this girl LOVES to read. It's funny, I just looked back at her three year old post and I said the same thing about her then... must be something she was born with. The best day of the week for Lucy is library day - we try to go once a week and load up with tons of new chapter books and then that girl will go to her room and won't come down till I force her to for dinner. Often times right after getting new books I will have to remind her to put the books down because, you know, you can't put your shoes on and read very efficiently! I never thought I'd have to tell my child to STOP reading... haha, but then again, Lucy always surprises me.

I can't remember if I've posted about this somewhere else - but something significant this past year was our coming to understand how gifted Lucy really is. At the beginning of the school year I got a phone call from her principal as if we would be intrested in promoting Lucy to the second grade (skipping 1st grade!) I was shoked. I had known Lucy was smart and gifted, but being that she is my oldest, I had no idea how smart she really was. Mrs. Brady confirmed that based on her testing she was a good candidate. We debated about the decision for a long time and ended up having her IQ and personality tested by the school to see if she was a good candidate. While the testing confirmed that she was, we ended up making the decision not to promote her based on her gut reaction, our gut reaction and her 1st grade teachers support. We figured that Lucy would probably thrive in either environment, but given that the promotion would be a tougher road it became the choice that didn't make sense.  After finishing up the school year and sticking with the first grade, I can safely say that I feel good about our decision. While I still feel pressure to continue to challenge her at home, I do feel like she is continuing to grow and learn and the tests she has been doing confirm that!

Lucy is in to American girl dolls (we went to the store for her Bday!), barbies, playing house, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Hey Jesse (the TV show, and well any TV show really!), playing outside (bike riding, jumping on the trampoline, etc), writing/journaling, coloring.

Lucy- you are such an amazing, sweet, mature, helpful, loving girl... I am truly so thankful to have you for a daughter. So many times I say to daddy, "she is my saving grace!". You are my perfect little helper, always seeing what you can do to make mommy happy and always trying to do the right thing. Sure, you can give us an attitude every once in a while and get overwhelmed and be dramatic about situations at times, but for the most part you are such a joy to be around and make my world brighter just by being in it (seriously! I'm not just saying that!)  Love you baby girl!








Lucy's 7 year old video:

Video notes...
favorite color: bright pink
favorite toy: american girl doll because she is very adventurous and really pretty
favorite fruit: peaches
favorite vegetable: carrots
favorite TV show: barbie and jesse
favorite food: toaster strudle, grilled cheese, and tomato soup
favorite thing to wear: easter dress
favorite animal: cat
favorite song: fight song
best friend: emilia, also sophie, allie, molly and ruby
favorite thing to do outside: play on the trampoline
favroite drink: lemonade
what do you like to take to bed: snowball my bunny or my teddy bear
what do you want to be when you grow up: a nurse and when she gets pregnant a stay at home mom
favorite sport/activity: soccer

Comments