Hank 12 Months

STATS: 23 pounds, 75%
31.5 inches, 96%
 
 We have officially arrived! Our second baby is no longer a "baby" and is entering toddlerhood - it's amazing how fast this year has gone (especially when I didn't think I'd ever sleep again during the first two months of his life).  This year Hank's personality started to really develop more and more - he loves throwing stuff away (include important stuff that is not supposed to be put in the trash!), throwing things in general, putting things "away", pushing things around, and has finally found a love for reading! He has actually picked up books and walked them over to me, then sat while I read the entire book... I thought this day would never come!  
Hank has been pretty clingy this month (much like every other month) - but in particular we went through a few bad colds that led to bad sleep and an extra clingy baby this month.  The doctor actually found an ear infection at his 1 year appointment, but she said unless he got worse that we should be OK without treatment... I'm guessing the worst of the infection was over Thanksgiving because the poor guy was up all throughout the night during the vacation weekend.  Although, with the clinginess came lots of hugs and even some sloppy, open mouthed kisses.  
 
I wouldn't say he has learned any new words, or is even really speaking that much at all - but I'm assuming that is because he's pretty focused on walking and is getting faster and faster at it.  He has mastered the whine and fake cry for communication though, and can turn it off just as quickly as he turns it on, once he gets his way.  He is also good at communicating "all done" when he is finished eating and has also mastered chasing after me with both arms up in the air, signaling he wants me to pick him up (no matter how hard I try to hide!)
One fun thing to see has been his developing love for Ben.  Lucy never really preferred Ben (as long as I was around) and still really doesn't, but Hank loves his daddy!  Just today Hank was walking around looking for Ben to pick him up, and when I tried to go grab him (Ben had to finish up a couple work things), Hank actually pushed me away!  I really loved it, and I was so thankful Ben got to experience the joy (and the pain) of when a baby has a strong preference for you.  He still definitely prefers me most of the time, and has actually started showing some separation anxiety when I drop him off at the church nursery.  But nothing really extreme. 

I officially weaned Hank last week (which I think ended up being a few weeks over 1 year).  I think he probably would have stuck with it for awhile longer, but we have a vacation coming up and I was just feeling ready to be done so I stopped offering to nurse him during the day.  He didn't really seem to mind this at all, I would just cuddle him and walk around with him and give him a sippy with milk and he never seemed to mind that I didn't lift up my shirt.  After that, the other two feedings went away easily (I'm guessing I was starting to run out of milk), and Hank never really put up a fuss about it.  Although nursing had definitely gotten really easy and convenient towards the end, I am glad to have the sense of being totally free right now and am enjoying some time while my body is just mine, not a milk source or growing another life!

I think that covers most of the updates - I'm sure I'm missing a lot (I'm writing this at 2am because I can't sleep and wanted to feel productive!) because Hank is such a ham right now, but hopefully I'll get more updates, more frequently, on here soon!

 Here are a few pictures from Hank's actual birthday... I made sprinkle pancakes that were actually disgusting (too much baking soda) and we sang Happy Birthday at breakfast.  (and of course, Lucy had to get a candle for her pancake too!)


 

Comments